The Google Knowledge Panel or Knowledge Graph is one of the tools available from Google to assist you in directing your visitors to your website. The knowledge graph is a unique part of Google’s search results page. This tool displays an overview of the primary topic being searched and will help you optimize your Google presence.
The Knowledge Panel may also help your company’s identity, brand, and reputation. Because of the many advantages of this tool, obtaining one is not simple. Use Metadata and market your work across several channels to increase your chances of earning your Knowledge Panel.
Google is a treasure trove for information for many users because you can use the search engine to find almost everything you need to know.
But, when you search your name or your brand, you will definitely find yourself facing thousands of pages sharing the same name. As a business or a brand, this can be troubling because you can’t find your exact site easily.
Google can help you catch the attention of your target audience through various tools like the Google Knowledge Panel.
Fortunately, Google has several tools available to help you direct your audience to your site. One of these tools you can try out is the Google Knowledge Panel or Knowledge Graph.
I have put up this guide to help you sort out your Google Knowledge Panel and make it easier for people to know you.
Read below what things you need to know about the Google Knowledge Panel.
What is the Google Knowledge Panel?
The Google Knowledge Panel or the Knowledge Graph is a special section in Google’s search results page that shows a summary of the main topic being searched. It usually appears on the right side of the screen and on the first page of the search page.
Below is an example of how the Google Knowledge Panel looks like featuring author Dan Brown.
The panel will detail everything a person needs to know about an individual or a business without going deeper in Google Search. For individuals, it will display details like birthdays, alma mater, what they are known for, awards and social media. For business, it will feature their contact details, products and other related content.
Why Should You Claim your Knowledge Panel?
If you are considering getting a Knowledge Panel, it can propel your name, brand, and business. When people search for your brand, Google will display your page on the right side of the first search result page if you have a Knowledge Panel. People will then think that your page is the site they are looking for and click your page.
✋ Stop worrying about SEO and have me do it for you
PS: Ready to work with the 0.01% of all SEOs worldwide? Click here.
It will also provide them with the right information they need to know about your business immediately. The Knowledge Panel also indicates the reviews of your brand based on the people who have tried out your brand or product.
For businesses, getting a Google Knowledge Panel can reduce the ads that will prevent people from getting to your site. The Knowledge Panel will bring your site forward and you won’t need to work with sidebar ads since your site is verified through their Knowledge Panel.
Types of Google Knowledge Panel
Before you add a Google Knowledge Panel to your brand or business, you need to know that there are two types of Google Knowledge Panels:
- Brand panels are ideal for individuals or brands who wish to provide a basic summary of their details. The panel will include details like social media pages, product summary, awards, foundation date, and other related details. This knowledge panel can also be used by online companies who do not have a physical office.
- Local panels are ideal for businesses and companies. It will feature details like their location, address, products and contact details. If the brand is a known company, like Canon or Disney, their knowledge panel will appear in national searches.
How to Add a Google Knowledge Panel
The benefits of a Google Knowledge Panel are immense if you are able to add it to your brand or business. But, getting one is not that easy especially if you do not know where to start.
Here are some tips on how you improve your chances of getting your Google Knowledge Panel:
- Use Metadata to provide Google data about you and your business. It serves as the signal for Google to identify what you are sharing online and connect it to your name.
- Promote your work on various websites and social media pages. As people review or check out your brand or product, it will increase your visibility online. Google will also use these reviews to link to your name.
- Create a website or an online page that will represent your brand or business. Google needs to see these sites from time to time and make it easier to make conversions. Ideally, get your own website with your own domain to make click conversions easier for Google to search.
- Make sure to incorporate SEO to your website to help Google know more about your brand and business. You can use plug-ins like Yoast SEO to get your content metadata sent to Google easily.
Tip: If you will be using Yoast SEO, you can edit your account there directly to correct your markup details. Once it is used by Google, the right information will be modified.
- Your website must also be optimized to make it easy for Google to check your website. You can add CDN or Cloudflare to boost your site speed or tools like GT Metrics to monitor your site’s performance.
Tip: Make sure to do your research about the right website tools that can optimize your website. If you cannot do it yourself, have a professional check it for you so your website won’t crash when accessed.
- Use the Google Search Console to verify your website. You can claim your site on Google and when they verify your details, they will show you how your site is performing whenever it is searched. You will also be able to control how Google sees your site, especially if you need to put it down for reformatting or redesigning.
- Update your social media pages constantly. Google uses your updates to create a Knowledge Panel to summarize your data online. You must also make sure that your social media pages reflect your brand, so if you are working as a writer, you can create a Wikipedia page or Author page for Google to view.
It takes some time before Google activates your Knowledge Panel but once they do apply it, you can proceed to the next step which is verifying your account.
Don’t forget to verify your Google Knowledge Panel so people know it’s your site.
Once you have a Google Knowledge Panel, you can verify the details to prove that it is your site that is being featured. Here’s how you can verify your details with Google:
- Use your Google account (or make one) and access Google Search.
- Look for your search page and look for the knowledge panel.
- Click the “Claim this Knowledge Panel” and review the details that will be provided to help you verify your account. Google may also request for other details to verify your brand or business, which you will need to submit.
- If your site is verified, check the information provided and edit it accordingly.
- Sign in to connected sites or profiles listed on the site to verify your site. Some of the sites that you can use to verify your site include Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Once Google registers your connected site, you will be able to edit your Knowledge Panel and presence in Google.
Users can also opt to verify their sites and get access to their Knowledge Panel with the help of third-party sites. Google will check your accounts to see your online presence. Research which apps work best for your website.
Should there be websites that match your site content, you can reach out to Google to get their assistance. You can also reach out to the site if there are errors in the knowledge panel that you cannot edit.
Note: You cannot edit your Knowledge Panel unless you verify your site with Google. Every website varies when it comes to how fast Google can verify the account.
Is there a setback of getting a Knowledge Panel?
Of course, having a Google Knowledge Panel does have its setbacks once it is online.
For businesses, having a Knowledge Panel can be tricky because it will display negative Google reviews to your site. You will not be able to modify these reviews easily, especially if you use a local knowledge panel for your business. You can bypass this problem by using a brand knowledge panel.
Aside from negative Google reviews, the search results can also affect your website’s review that will be displayed in the Google Knowledge Panel. For example, if you have a Wikipedia page, people can edit your page easily. As a result, their content will affect how people see your site when they access Wikipedia.
For individuals and brands, the same problems on the content of each knowledge panel can be encountered. You may find it difficult to update your website unless your website is SEO-friendly. If you are not familiar with how SEO works, you will need to revise your website to get Google to search it easily.
Furthermore, it is difficult to work with Google to get your Knowledge Panel to display the correct results. Here are some of the issues you may experience:
- Google may add old information in your knowledge panel that is out-of-date. Getting them to correct this problem will take time to get it sorted out. However, you can counter this by updating your website and linking new reviews to your account.
- It does not allow you to correct the information easily, even if the errors being displayed are minor. You can only mark that something is wrong and Google won’t be able to fix everything for you.
- Reports will also take time to get resolved, especially if there is more than one error in the knowledge page. You will need to report each error one by one and you can’t edit the problem yourself.
- There are no feedback pages for users to mark if there are errors. Users will also not get an update regarding their report, which can be dangerous if you are correcting details for a business.
- There is a different repair page for local knowledge panels. The process is also long and difficult to work with.
- Some of the data included in knowledge panels are from unknown sources and it can be difficult to track where these sites are.
- You cannot contact Google directly for the issue, especially for local pages.
Know what your knowledge panel can do for your site and do your best to maximize its benefits.
To Wrap Up!
If you want to maximize your Google presence, having a Knowledge Panel connected to your business or brand is the best. It can be tricky to add one for your knowledge panel, but if you optimize your website and content, Google can sort out your knowledge panel easily.
When you have a Knowledge Panel for your account, you will definitely see an improvement in how many people access your site. People will also take a shorter time to find you online and not have to worry about paying for ads to get noticed.
If you loved this article, here are other great articles to inspire you to improve your social media presence:
Make sure to leave a comment below or message me through my social media pages if you want me to cover other topics. You can also connect with me via my Facebook or Instagram to stay up-to-date with my work. Of course, don’t forget to let me know how you found my site!