When running an online business, increasing sales is what you strive for.
Maybe you have a small online store alongside your day job, and want to make it a full-time hustle.
Or perhaps your business is already large and successful, but you know there are more customers out there waiting to be tapped into.
I knew there was something else we could do to grow our customer base. So, I tried to consume as much info as possible to learn how to do it.
After growing that business into a million-dollar store, I learned a few tips here and there to get more customers.
In these three steps, you can uncover new audiences and see new orders roll in.
1. Get Social and Gain More Fans/Customers
Your online presence should extend far beyond your money site.
This shouldn’t be a new idea, but the amount of entrepreneurs that neglect social media marketing surprises me.
However, that doesn’t mean you need to be active on all platforms. Especially at the start.
You should focus on the platforms where your audience hangs out.
Learn how to get more Snapchat followers with this guide.
YouTube is a huge platform that is popular with all audiences.
It’s a huge hit with teenagers for entertainment, DIY dads and young professionals looking for tips.
If your product or service has such target demographics, then you better be uploading video content.
If you have never been in front of a camera or edited a video, make it your mission to learn simple video editing, try a little bit of public speaking, then make how-to tutorials, vlogs, demonstration videos, etc.
With a few simple camera tricks and lights you will be well on your way to turn a YouTube clip into an advertisement for your personal brand and products.
Make sure you upload a video at least once a week and don’t forget to embed them into your blog to keep your site fresh and updated.
Don’t forget to include catchy headlines with your keywords that correspond to what people would type into the search bar.
Even better: Repurpose that video, post it on Facebook and get it viral.
You can also work with Youtube influencers to have them review your product on their channel.
Ensure they market your product well, and do so in a funny and informative way. Then you can share the videos again and again across your social media channels.
And, voila! Your business has access to countless audiences in a way that you probably never considered.
This brings me to my next point…
2. Optimize your SEO and get tons of free traffic
Even with amazing social media pages, your online reach has only achieved half its full potential unless you know SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
Knowing how to optimize your site is critical if you want to transform cold traffic into raving fans.
Working through the search engine algorithms is not just for computer whizzes. Here are some simple things you can do today to increase your rankings:
- ? Optimize keywords: Use Google Adwords or Ahrefs to find the most appropriate keywords for your site. Then: add these into all your page URLs, headlines, subheadings, and near the first and last sentences of all your content. One caveat though: DON’T overuse them – Google’s algorithms penalize this.
- ✌️Create social signals: This is a nice bonus of having amazing social media pages. The more your website link is shared on any social platform (by different people), the more authority Google believes your site has. Remember, more followers = more shares = more money $$. Get creative and entice people to follow you.
- ? Post fresh content: Add blog posts, new social feed, and updated content to your site as often as you can. People love being updated, and this will keep you fresh in their minds. Post about new products, new services, and things relevant to current affairs (to take advantage of ‘online trends’). Also, start a mailing list where you can market people constantly at no cost.
- ? Use all the tools I list on my comprehensive SEO tools list.
- ? Get media publicity from big sites like Forbes, Mashable, Techcrunch and more. Those links can drive thousands of clicks each month.
Remember, SEO is a marathon, not a sprint.
You won’t see yourself pop up on the first page of Google overnight, but know that if you keep following these steps, you’ll inch your way nearer every day.
For faster results, get the help of the professionals. Local SEO expertise is the best place to start (get yourself ranking in your area before you dominate the world) – like this Minneapolis SEO Agency or my own SEO company Flux LA.
3. Gain Trust
Step three (probably the most important step): now that people have landed on your page, they won’t place an order unless they trust you, your service, your delivery promises and your product quality.
You can evoke trust by:
- Craft impeccable content: Flawless grammar, masterful copy, excellent conversion. People don’t trust amateur-looking sites or shaddy content. The writing on your page needs to persuade people buy your product. If you can convey clearly how your product will improve someone’s life, you have a sale in the bag. Here’s how you can write a perfect blog post.
- Win endorsements: You’ll find it hard to be the authority of a market without other people backing up your claim. A great way to do this is to get blogger/industry/ celebrity endorsements. People already trust them and by transitivity will be more likely to trust your product. Make connection with bloggers, and display amazing reviews on your page.
- Have an amazing customer support team: if your product sucks and you don’t provide support, people will talk badly about you and your company. That kind of word of mouth will destroy your sales. Prevent this by addressing all the problems as quickly and effectively as possible.
So there you have it.
Those are 3 straight-forward steps to increase the amount of customers you have.
Now, it’s your turn.
How do you get more customers? Drop a comment below.