Post written by Kherk Roldan. If you want to guest post, please follow these instructions.
Building links might look like an easy task for normal people but for SEO gurus, it’s something that needs to be taken seriously.
In order to find high-quality link opportunities, you need to be able to cover opportunities wide enough to generate the right targets that would bring phenomenal results to your campaign.
To give you an idea of how they do it, let’s start with the first part of link building: Link Prospecting
Link prospecting is the task of pursuing relevant links that you can use for your blog or website. It is essentially the first step in link building.
In my own opinion, link prospecting is a time consuming and laborious process. However, it’s probably the best course of action to take if you want to continue thriving online.
There are a lot of tools you can use to find link opportunities. Like any other link prospector, you can start pursuing links through Google.
In this post, I will be sharing 4 common methods to help you start building links.
1. Make Use of Advanced Search Modifiers
This is probably the most common method used by link prospectors in the early stages of their link building journey. It is the perfect method to use when you are looking to find opportunities for collaborations, sponsorships, or guest blogging since it is quick and easy to use.
By using advanced search modifiers, you will be able to make your search results more refined and specific. Here are some examples of modifiers you can employ:
- Quotation marks (“”). You can employ an exact phrase search by pacing your query in between the quotation marks (i.e “query”). Doing this gives Google an idea of what you’re exactly looking for. This type of modifier is ideal when you are aiming to find a website that accepts guest blogging. (i.e. “guest post accepted”)
- Inurl Search. Using this search operator filters your search results to websites that has a specific keyword in their URL or the specific domain extension. For example, you type in inurl:”link prospecting”. The results will give you a list of websites that have the “link prospecting” keyword in its URL.
- Intitle Search. This type of search query helps on filtering relevant topics and refines your search result into pages that have the specific terms you are looking for. It could also help you in expanding your list of potential keywords. (intitle: “how to”)
- Insite Search. This type of search modifier is mainly for specifying organization types. It is especially ideal when finding high-quality link opportunities. For example, insite: .org “link prospecting”
Using some of these modifiers could be extremely helpful in narrowing down your results. Moreover, combining two search operators could further refine your results and help you acquire a more specific link that would suit your needs.
2. Use Reverse Image Search
Due to the internet’s easy access, images have become free-for-all. Most people don’t realize that letting others use their image could offer a great opportunity for them.
A piece of advice: if you happen to see your image on one of the websites, reach out. Don’t waste your time doing legal action but instead, use it to your advantage. Send a polite email asking them to mention and link your website as the source of the image.
Tinyeye is a tool commonly used by link prospectors to track their images. It’s easy and accurate which makes it one of the top tools I find helpful in link prospecting.
3. Take Advantage of Social Media to Find Niche Bloggers
There’s no denying the effectiveness of building relationships through the social media. Reaching out to bloggers within your niche can definitely develop relationships which you can use in promoting your campaign.
Every single blogger can most likely be found on every social media platforms. Most of the time, you can see their social profiles posted somewhere on their website. Chances are they are also looking for potential link opportunities.
4. Ask for Advice
Once you’ve developed a relationship with bloggers, don’t be afraid to ask for an advice. Ask for tips on how to improve your link prospecting skills. Or better yet, what websites are worth following. This can be useful in tracking sites you may haven’t discovered yet.
In the end, learning the proper way to pursue link opportunities lie in your eagerness to succeed. In order to become successful in pursuing links, you should at least be able to have enough understanding of the basics of link prospecting. Combine it with creativity and patience and you’ll be building solid links to your website in no time.
- How to create content that will get you backlinks organically
- Follow these SEO steps to rank at the top
- How to find the juiciest keywords to target