Facebook Marketplace is the platform you can use to buy and sell items, especially in your local area. Facebook Messenger has made it easier to get in touch with your prospective buyer through direct messaging to provide more product details and negotiate with the offer.
But the Marketplace is not always running smoothly. Bugs, compatibility, restrictions, and an internet connection can affect your Marketplace work.
To resolve this issue, check the possible causes within your account and on your app or desktop web browser.
Facebook Marketplace is one of the platforms that started in October 2016. The Marketplace is where users can consume social media content and simultaneously explore lists of local items in different categories.
A Facebook user can sell new or pre-loved products online using Marketplace by uploading product images and adding in product names, descriptions, and prices.
The buyer browses and chooses the items and directs messages to the seller via Facebook Messenger. From there, they can talk more about the product and the offer.
Marketplace technical issues are no joke since they may affect your business or interrupt customer response and service. But luckily, I got some things to try if your platform isn’t working.
These tips can help with everything from account restrictions, and browser issues to internet connection.
Why Facebook Marketplace May Not Be Working
There are many causes why your Marketplace isn’t loading or working. Let’s try to look at each of them so you’d know where to fix the issue.
Facebook users below 18 are restricted from getting access to the Marketplace. This is to prevent children from financial scams or getting involved in fraudulent activities.
Slow Internet Connection
Marketplace’s product listing may take too long to appear, or its entire page won’t load because of a slow internet connection. You can Google the “Internet speed test,” where you can check your internet’s current speed.
If your internet connection is slow, then that might be the cause why your Marketplace seems not to be working. Usually, other sites also won’t load easily with this kind of issue.
Try contacting your internet provider to help you with connectivity and internet speed issues.
New Facebook Account
If you just recently created a Facebook profile, chances are you won’t be able to use the Marketplace yet. But they lift this restriction after 72 hours, so all you need to do is wait.
There are cases where new Facebook accounts are created for spamming purposes, which is why commenting or reacting on posts, groups, and pages are also restricted.
Banned User Account
The Marketplace has strictly implemented community policies, and violating these would let them take away your access to it. Facebook will send an email to you regarding the violation.
It should also be stated how long your restriction will last. To prevent yourself from being banned from the Marketplace, try to learn and ensure you follow the established community policy.
Repeated violations may place you on a lifetime ban on the Marketplace.
✋ Stop worrying about SEO and have me do it for you
PS: Ready to work with the 0.01% of all SEOs worldwide? Click here.
Your location might be affecting your access to the Marketplace. With that, you can access the Marketplace currently available in the following countries.
There are still other causes why your Facebook Marketplace isn’t working. You can try to fix them in the following ways.
1. Open Facebook Marketplace In Another Browser
Your Facebook Marketplace may be incompatible with the current browser you’re using. Try the browsers where you can load the Marketplace quickly and smoothly.
You can use the following browsers compatible with loading the Marketplace.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
You can install these browsers by following the steps below:
- Download then install the browser
- After the installation is complete, open the browser
- Sign in to Facebook and go to Marketplace
2. Updating or Reinstall Facebook App
On your Facebook App, try updating it since there might be bugs that have affected your Marketplace to load. Updating or reinstalling the app will provide you with an updated version that has already fixed the bugs from the previous versions.
The updated Facebook app has also already enhanced its performance for a better user experience.
In updating the Facebook app, follow the steps below:
- Go to Google Play Store or App Store
- Search for the Facebook app
- Tap on the ‘Update’ button
- Then after the update has been downloaded, you can open this new version of the app and check the Marketplace to see if it’s working now.
For reinstalling the Facebook app, go through the following steps:
- Delete first the Facebook app on your phone
- Then, go to Google Play Store or App Store to install them again
- After installing, open the app and go to the Marketplace to see if the problem has been fixed
3. Clear Cache
You can clear the cache on your Facebook App and see if there will be any changes, so you won’t have to make an update or reinstall.
Bugs and glitches may occur because of these cache or temporary data. So you can try clearing up the cache within your browser or app to prevent the bugs that may interfere with loading the Marketplace.
On your mobile phone, follow these simple steps:
- Go to Settings
- Then look for the Facebook app and tap on it
- You can see storage and cache and then tap on the ‘Clear cache button
On your desktop’s browser, particularly Google Chrome, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the 3 vertical dots in the browser on the top right corner, which is also beside your Google account’s profile picture.
- Then under it, click on More Tools and then click on Clear Browsing Data.
- You can choose the time range of clearing the browsing data between the Last hour or All time.
- Select the following where you want to clear your browsing data
- Then click clear data.
4. Check Language Settings
The language set in your Facebook account may also be related to your region or location, which may not have access to Marketplace.
To have access to Marketplace, you can change your language on Facebook:
- Click your profile icon on the top right corner
- Go to Settings and Privacy and click on Settings
- On the left pane, go to the Language and Region tab
- Under the Language and Regions Settings, click the Edit button next to Facebook Language
- Then a drop-down menu will appear and select supported languages, where Marketplace is available to load
- Once you’ve chosen the supported language, click on the Save changes button
5. Turn Off Third-Party Extensions
Third-party extensions such as add-ons or plugins may interrupt Facebook operations. Some malicious extensions can copy or modify your account information, enabling Facebook to detect unusual behavior in your account and limit access.
To prevent access restrictions from happening, you can do the following steps to your web browser:
- Go to Google Chrome, go to the top right corner, and click the 3 vertical dots.
- Then on the list, click on More tools.
- Under More tools, click on Extensions.
- Turn the toggle off or remove the malicious or unnecessary third-party extensions, then check if there are any changes in loading Marketplace.
6. Request For Marketplace Access
You may have received the email for violating community policies and have been restricted from using Marketplace. Although if you think you didn’t violate any of the policies, you can send a request to get your Marketplace access back.
You can see a message on the Marketplace tab saying, ‘You Can’t Use Marketplace Right Now.’ Under it, click the Request Review button, then fill out the required form.
What You Can Sell On Marketplace
Based on Facebook’s Community Standards, these are the prohibited contents in their Marketplace.
- Adult products
- Body parts and fluids
- Documents, currency, and financial instruments
- Bingo, poker, casino, fantasy sports, and sweepstakes
- Hazardous goods and materials
- Animals and animal products
- Medical and healthcare products
- Prescription drugs
- Tobacco products
- Ammunition and explosives
- Used cosmetics
The Marketplace has limited access to countries and users’ age. It can also be affected by bugs, cache, third-party extensions, and slow connection.
Knowing the causes of the problem will help you to regain access to the Marketplace.
Make sure to follow the community policies set by Facebook, or you’d get a restriction, which may take a while to get back in the Marketplace. You can also try to change your language and location so you won’t have restricted access, especially if it’s unavailable in your area.
Now that the Marketplace is available to millions of users, it’s never been easier than this before. You can drive sales with Marketplace, so it’s a good way to resolve the issue when it’s not working immediately through the following guide.
Want to know more about e-commerce platforms? Check any of these posts!