Unless you are living under a rock, there is no way you haven’t heard about online marketing – and the wonders it does for online entrepreneurs.
The best way to define online marketing is as ‘a way of utilizing different online avenues like blogging, social media or press to acquire new customers and promote your business’.
I’ve had the opportunity to build multiple online businesses by means of utilizing only digital channels to reach new and existing audiences. If you would like me to take your business to the next level just like I did my company Flux Ventures (7 figures) then simply send me a message.
Online marketing is powerful and challenging at the same time. I wrote this quick guide to serve as an introduction for the many possibilities that there exist.
Online Marketing Moves At The Speed Of Light
The beauty of the online world is that it never sleeps and it’s always changing. What worked 2 months ago may no longer work now, and this presents an opportunity for any up-and-coming entrepreneur or brand. You can easily compete with a large brand if you handle your social media channels better, if your press is superior, and if you are able to rank higher on google, etc.
Probably one of the reasons of the success of the online world (think ecommerce) is the fact that it moves at the speed of light. Therefore, you need a solid foundation to keep up, be abreast of all the trends, think creatively and independently. However, if you are present online and actively interacting with your audiences – you can definitely reap the (many) rewards.
Online marketing takes many forms and styles. It is the window to greater opportunities accordign to many – and the active job position for millions of people out there. That being said, the Internet makes it possible to work online, have your own business or even outsource and get paid.
But let’s not get too deep from the start. If you are interested in exploiting the world of online marketing, you have to find your own specialty.
How To Find What You Are Good At – And Join The Online Marketing Movement
If you want to establish your online business, the main thing you should focus on getting is not customers – but followers. Nowadays, people are in deep bond with the online world, but in another way. They are not only consumers – they are brand advocates.
So, in order to see what you want, you have to think about the personas that will be the lifeblood of your business. For example, if you are creating a sports brand – just think about the people you will design clothes or gear for, what are their needs and how to best approach them.
The good thing is that as a single individual – you can create a fully operational business in the realm of online marketing and even set it up in your pajamas, in the middle of your living room. The good thing about online marketing is exactly that opportunity – or as some refer to it – the life-changing opportunity or the shot at the life of your dreams.
Still, it is up to you to make it possible. In order to get deeper with all the opportunities that lie online (and there are a lot), we will divide them into seven main categories:
- Search engine optimization (SEO) – the technique that combines different approaches in ranking a website and one that can be applied on your blog, or even sold as a service. Learn SEO.
- Search engine marketing (SEM) – known as the paid cousin of SEO, where instead of optimizing your content you are showing up as a top result for organic search engine results according to your bids
- Content marketing – which is basically a technique through which you create content that is unique and relevant and provides value to your audience
- Social media marketing (SMM) – focused on the growth of social media and the opportunities it holds for you to advertise your business
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC) – Just like the name itself says, PPC advertising lets you pay for each click that you receive on an ad that you create. Similar to search engine marketing but also a lot different, SEM is one type of PPC advertising where you pay for the performance of your ads.
- Affiliate marketing – adopting the process of passive income, where you earn money by selling products or services for a brand and getting commission for it
- Email marketing – the technique of advertising your brand through emails, and having a loyal follower base that engages with them
As you can see, all of these fundamentals of online marketing are branched out in different directions. However, they are all connected in a way. For example, without content marketing, there is no SEO – just like without SEM there is no PPC advertising.
If you are new to online marketing, you will probably have a tough time in choosing what is best for you – but you can easily start by creating a website via WordPress and figure your way of generating income later.
Create A Website With WordPress
Websites are the most fundamental part of online marketing. They are the reason online marketing exists. Without a website, there is no way you can earn commission, market a product or make sales. Sure, there is social media and all kinds of advertising through it – but in the end, all of the sales and commissions are processed through websites.
So, the best way to start taking advantage of the online marketing world is with a website of your own choice. In order to create your first website, you need to:
- figure out a domain name and purchase it (GoDaddy.com is a good marketplace for that)
- set up your WordPress and install a theme (whether free or paid, a theme combines all of the visual elements of your website)
- start blogging and find your audience
Although these steps make it look easy, setting up a WordPress website is not that easy for newbies. Still, you can figure it out thanks to the many guides out there online.
A Final Word
In the end, the online marketing world is important because of a simple reason – it perfectly aligns with the way people make purchasing decisions. Speaking of which, people trust the Internet more than ever before. They are informing themselves, communicating with friends and discovering new things online – which are some of the reasons why they trust it.
So, are you ready to fill in the gaps with your story – and start your journey in the world of online marketing?
But what if you don’t like doing online marketing and would like to work on other aspects of your business (such as developing products)? Then in that case you can hire my digital marketing agency Flux.LA and we will handle all that for you so you can focus on other tasks.