If you run a website or blog like me, by now you’ll be familiar with the term SEO – Search Engine Optimization. This is the process of taking advantage of (mainly) Google’s algorithms to get your website to the top page of the world’s largest search engine.
Anyone who is interested in getting their site to the top of the Google search page (and you should be) will be constantly looking for new ways to increase their search engine visibility. This is necessary so that people can find your business when they search for your relevant keywords. Otherwise, your site is lost in the vast sea of the internet, and online customers will be unlikely to ever stumble upon your services.
That’s why businesses now spend hundreds, if not thousands, on digital marketing and SEO strategies. But – there are some simple steps you can do yourself, for free, to get you started. Here are some more advanced SEO tricks too.
SEO is complicated at first, and can be an added headache on top of the daily running of your business.
In this article we’ll share some easy ways to improve your SEO, and point you in the right direction of great websites and services that can help you out. Let’s start!
1. Use an SEO Hosting Company
If you have no clue where to begin with SEO, have no fear! There are services out there that can handle things for you, and answer your questions about how to understand SEO yourself.
Check out these SEO hosting reviews for a great guide that explains in simple terms which host you should go for and what features they offer.
But what do SEO hosts do, exactly?
Basically, they set up an affiliate blog network for you, which will drive online traffic to your site. The more affiliate networks you have (links to your site from other sites), the more authority your site commands in Google’s terms – which equals higher search engine ranking.
2. Write High Quality Content
The copy on your website needs to be top-notch. Read it objectively: does your site make YOU want to buy your products or services? Is the grammar perfect? If you’re not sure about the efficacy of your copywriting, hire a digital marketing company to craft some amazing copy for you.
Alongside this, you need keywords on your site. How else are Google searchers going to find you? Say you run a gardening business. You want potential customers to find your site at the top of Google when they search for ‘Gardeners in (Your Town)’.
To do this, you’ll need to understand:
- Keyword research – find out how many people search for your desired keywords using Google Adwords. It’s a paid service but offers transparent advice about which keywords you should go for. You can also use SEMRush or Ahrefs.
- Keyword density – Google penalizes websites that use keywords too densely. Try to keep it less than 2% of your entire page content.
- Positioning – keywords are most effective when they’re used in page headers, subheadings, and included in the first and last sentences on your page.
- URL – make sure your keyword is in the URL of all your pages.
3. Boost Your Social Signals
Every time the link to your website is shared on social media, Google recognizes this. It thinks that people are talking about your site, adding authority and relevance.
Increasing your site’s social signals is a good way to work towards higher rankings. Ensure you have social media pages for your business on all the popular networks (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and LinkedIn, at least) and that you post regularly on each one, perhaps once per day. Post business updates, photos of new products, and always reply to comments. Encourage people to share these.
Easy ways to increase your social signals:
- Ask friends and family to post about your business!
- Offer rewards to those who follow your page, and like and share your posts
- Consider working hard on your YouTube channel – people love watching videos and will frequently share ones they like. If you can make a viral video, even better!
- Work with influencers (aka people with large followings, like Young Slacker)
What are the top Search Engines in the world?
Google, Bing, Yahoo.
These are just some simple ideas to get you started in understanding SEO. They are also only ways that we KNOW contribute to Google’s ranking algorithms. There are hundreds more methods Google uses to determine which websites people like, but these are kept secret. See how many ways to trick the algorithms you can discover.
Read more about other SEO techniques.